Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Homage is not enough



For my IPP, I plan on making a concept album, that is, writing 10 songs that tell a story, picking the best 4 over the plot arc, and turning them into an EP. The album is an homage to, you guessed it, Rush, but apparently it's vague and un-envisionable, to make up words.

I'm curious to know what people think. The idea for the story is that the Sun, being the giver of life essentially, has gotten a swelled head. It's mad with power and simply a tyrant, beating on the Moon and making life hell for its slaves, the White Dwarves (a small species of star that is weak in nature, but pleantiful). The Moon finally gets sick of "owing" the Sun (because the Sun gives the light to Moon, and in this case, Linkin Park, it is assuming that the Moon's "gonna owe it one") and decides to rally the White Dwarves and Comets and other heavenly bodies in order to permanently extinguish the Sun so that the heavenly bodies may be free.

My question is: What literary genre would you say this type of story belongs to? I'm simply curious, because apparently I haven't a fucking clue.

This album is an homage to Rush's "2112," a brilliant look at closed-mindedness and how it leads to tyranny. The song "2112," tells the story of a guy who finds a guitar in a forest, in a time when music has been banned and eradicated. It's essentially a "fight the powers that be," type of tale that I really enjoy and can sometimes relate to on different levels. Peart has won awards for writing it, because it is, simply put, brilliant. I know I've reviewed it before, but have a listen to "2112," and bask in its glory, read the lyrics, and even tell me what genre you think it fits under.

4 comments:

  1. After listening to the song and looking at the lyrics it seems to be some kind of poety based science fiction...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Science fiction! You heard it here, folks! Thank you, Ms. Rohne. Science fiction indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled across your blog while browsing blogspot. So you don't know me, nor do I know you but from one stranger to another, I like your idea for a story. It sounds like something Homer would have written - like a lost chapter in the Odyssey. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anonymous. Thank you very much stranger, I appreciate your comment. I actually had a little of the Odyssey in mind as I imagined this story an epic. Thank you, that means a lot coming from someone who's seeing it out of context.

    ReplyDelete